Adopt a Block
Is there an area in your neighborhood or community that you would like to help keep clean? Why not "Adopt-A-Block" that could use some special attention. The city’s Adopt-A-Block Program helps beautify neighborhoods, and allows citizens, businesses, and organizations to take an active role.
The city’s program works as follows.
1. Individuals, organizations, or businesses are able to “adopt” a section of road - minimum of four blocks - of a major or collector street, to care for and improve the appearance on both sides of the road.
2. The program period is for two (2) years; applicants can extend their agreement if they choose.
3. The City will provide a sign along the road recognizing your effort. A segment of an adopted road will receive one pair of signs, regardless of the length adopted. The signs will have two lines available to list the organization, individual, or group.
4. Each sponsor (or group) should work on their adopted street as needed. There is no required maintenance schedule; however, monthly cleanups are recommended.
5. The City will monitor the “commitment” activity and report any complaints or observations to the applicant. The City has the right to remove the signs if the adopted area is not maintained to the standards in the agreement.
6. Sponsors must provide and dispose-of their own trash bags.
7. Safety is to be stressed while working in the right-of-way. It is recommended that each person wear a safety vest or bright colored clothing.
8. Minors must be accompanied by a parent or a responsible adult.
9. The City reserves the right to reject any application that may result in a sign reflecting a company or group name offensive to the community.
This program allows citizens and organizations to make a noticeable contribution to their communities, and received recognition well-earned. To enroll, please contact the Street Department at 573-221-0111 ext. 216 or via e-mail.